RSS
SUPER BOWL

Catching up with Jerrel Jernigan


I was able to talk to former Trojan Jerrel Jernigan this morning. I've got a story planned, but it may be several days before I can get it in the paper.

Here's just a few questions from the chat.

On playing in the Super Bowl as a rookie: "It's finally sinking in that I'm a rookie going to the Super Bowl. Not many people can say they even played in one Super Bowl, but for me to do it in my first year, that's crazy."

On the transition to the pros, where he hasn't had as many opportunities to shine just yet: "It's been a long year for me. It didn't start off like I wanted to. I'm used to getting the ball in my hands almost every play like at Troy. This year it's been kickoffs and some spot duty. It's been a long year, but it's all worth it."

Jernigan's son, Jabari Marquis Jernigan, was born Sept. 10 of last fall: "I got down there for his birth and I went down there on our bye week. Those are the only two times I've been able to see him. I see him on the computer. It's exciting, but at the same time I'd like to be there to see him grow up and so he can hear my voice."

Jernigan's first big purchase was a house for his mom, a 4 BR, 3 1/2 bath after the family had lived in an apartment: "It was very exciting for me, because my mom, dad and my family have always been there for me and now that I've grown up, it's a great way for me to repay them."

On following Troy this year: "I watched the Arkansas game and I read your twitter. I caught a couple of other games as well. I think they just had a down year. They lost some key players like myself, TeBiarus Gill and Jason Bruce, and then Jamel Johnson and Chip Reeves were ineligible. I think they'll bounce back next year. Coach Blakeney, Coach Edenfield and Coach Wasden will help them get it together and they're bringing in some good recruits, and getting Jamel and Chip back. They just need some seniors to step up and lead, and they'll be back.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...