RSS
SUPER BOWL

King Jeremy

(At home, drawing pictures of mountain tops, with him on top, lemon yellow sun, arms raised in a V...)

It's always nice to have a new sports boyfriend. Don't get me wrong, Our Hero, Rafael Nadal is the true sports love of my life, but he plays but one sport and there are so many others to watch. There's Tommy, of course, with the Pats in football, but I've been without someone to love in basketball for awhile. The problem is that I'm a Knicks fan, and ever since Jeff Van Gundy left the head coach position in 2001, I haven't been able to properly emotionally connect to them. Yes, I realize that was over 10 years ago now, and the Knicks have spent the majority of that time without a real star or a chance as play-off contenders. It's been extremely painful and for the most part I haven't even been able to bring myself to watch the games. While there are other b-ball pros I've respected and enjoyed from other teams during that time, I've never been able to truly love them as a sports boyfriend should because they were not Knicks. I've always held out hope, however, that somehow the Knicks and I would find our way back to each other, and that path would be forged by a player as I was truly meant to fall for. 

Finally in comes Jeremy Lin. You don't need me to tell you his story. By now I'm sure you've heard it a million times and heard just as many puns on his name to describe the excitement surrounding his ascendance from unsigned bench player to sharpshooting phenomenon. Sure, he had a bad game against The Heat last week on the road, but that's bound to happen. Every night is not gonna be perfect, as he adjusts to the demands of the pro schedule and all the new teammates on the Knicks roster he has to get to know. What I like right now more than the results is the fact that the fight is there. It has called all the Knicks fans who'd been wandering alone out in the wilderness for the last decade like me back to The Garden. New York is a basketball town, and now we have someone to really cheer for.

Hopefully Lin and Stoudamire and Anthony will come together to be a real force in the Atlantic Division and the Eastern Conference overall. We're still a game under .500 on the season but I have hope that our fortunes will continue to change for the better. I'm glad to have a new sports boyfriend in my hometown. All hail, King Jeremy, the wicked awesome!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...