RSS
SUPER BOWL

Monday afternoon notes

Wanted to make my main story tomorrow on something a little more positive, but here's what the talk was in today's press conference.

OC Kenny Edenfield on offense's confidence: "I think it’s that more than anything. If you watch the first four games, there was the same type of scenarios but we made plays and we found a way to win games. We made plays against Clemson and Arkansas in crowded areas. I remember Eric Thomas catching a go ball and a touchdown with guys all over him. You gain confidence that way. You can’t just do that in practice, you have to do that in games to really gain that confidence. That’s something we’ve got to continue to work on. Somebody’s got to step up and make plays in the game."

"We had two turnovers in good situations and after that, we had three and out in three straight series. The game got out of hand, and that was really on us, of not letting that happen. They did not do anything different than we hadn't practiced. They made a play."

Edenfield on what defenses they are facing: "Schematically, everybody’s rushing three people and dropping eight until you put two backs in the game. It’s not complicated, it’s no different than what we’ve seen in the past. You’ve got to take advantage of that. You’ve got to run the ball when they drop a lot of guys and throw the ball when they’re crowding the line of scrimmage."

He did say that defenses are making sure to stop Troy's H-WRs, Justin Albert and Corey Johnson.

***Troy's
defense looked pretty solid in the first quarter. Then Navy hit them on a deep pass to set up the first score, and hit them on a deep touchdown pass to make it 14-0. All downhill after that.

"They hit us on a play that we know a couple of (Navy) coaches and talked to them after the game and they said they hadn’t run that play in 4 years," defensive coordinator Jeremy Rowell said. "It busted our scheme and what we were doing early in the game. Once they did that because it was a totally different look from how we were playing, it took a couple of things away from us. We couldn’t do a couple of things that caused negative things on the first couple of drives because we couldn’t (then) cover what they were doing."

****Jamie Hampton hurt his foot against Navy, and head coach Larry Blakeney said he'll have to have surgery. However, I don't know when that'll be - if it would be this week or just try to wait, prepare/play on pain and just do it after the season. I'd honestly be surprised if he's able to play again, especially this week, but I hope he can play.

"It’s not a break, but it’s somewhere between his first and second metatarsal," Blakeney said. "When they do that, it’s painful. Every time you take a step, you’re hurting. They’re talking about maybe having to put a screw in there to hold it together, to get it well. I’m hoping the best for him. I wish he could play this week."

Blakeney said he didn't believe freshmen Luke Barnes or Dallas Tidwell were ready yet to play quarterback in a game, and that K.D. Edenfield is more of a change-of-pace guy.

Also asked Blakeney on what's different about the offense now as opposed to the first 3-4 games of the season: "I think maybe the caliber of people we play. I think Middle is obviously not the best team in the league. Who else we beat? UAB is obviously not the best team. I’ve got no answer. We sort of looked at that, too, and thought maybe it’s going to be OK. It might have been how they were playing us. Everybody in this league is kind of been bend-but-don’t-break us. Navy was the same way. Three- or four-man rush, a little bit of blitz but not much. Try to not give us a lot of opportunities. Make us earn it all. We’re not good enough to get where we need to be.

"I’m not sure. I wish I was sure. I’d tell y’all. I’d tell the world. I’d make a lot of money, because I’d probably be in Vegas or somewhere."

Blakeney on morale, he also said they were practicing Tues-Fri to change things up. Players had off Sunday and Monday: "I’d say morale is not great, but young people, like I’ve said before, they’re pretty resilient. We’ve lost, what, four in a row? First time since 2006. I ain’t got no answer. I’m going to keep doing what we’re doing. Work harder, employ more guys, bring them to the party, be a leader, work hard.

"Status quo ain’t obviously good enough. We have to find some people who will make a play for us on offense and defense."

"It’s not give up time. It’s time to reassert. That’s all I know."

"Like I was telling them in there a while ago, I heard this pro coach, I can’t remember if he’s retired or an assistant or what, about the gap between winning and losing emotionally. He said there’s no question that this is a lot worse than this is. You’re so happy. There’s no question that losing makes you sadder than winning makes you glad. He said different words, but that’s what he meant. There’s no question that’s a true statement.

Then, he got into complaints from outside the athletic department: "When you’re on a four-game skid, everybody is searching. Everybody is trying to find each other. Coaches, players, fans, alumni, everybody wants to fire this one or fire that one, or do this, start this quarterback, throw it to so-and-so, or we obviously don’t need to be running the ball. I’ve had that letter. God bless them, but they don’t understand."

I asked him if people were starting to send e-mails or letters: "No. 1, I don’t get many emails. I’ve gotten a couple. No. 2, I read no social media, period. I’m sure I’d be a basket case if I did. I try to make sure my wife doesn’t read any of it and none of our coaches’ wives read any of it. I’m sure they’re reading it, but it would be a mistake because there’s no responsibility for what people say."

***Other injuries: linebacker Kanorris Davis (concussion) and cornerback Bryan Willis (hamstring) are questionable, defensive tackle Emanuel Dudley (ankle) is going to try to play this week.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...