RSS
SUPER BOWL

Emmys 2011 - Reflections

(And the winner of Miss Emmy Funny Lady 2011 goes to...)

It's Emmy Night! Where people on a bunch of shows I don't actually watch compete for trophies, and I turn to BFF as we sit on the couch eating cheese and crackers and I say things like, "oh, she's supposed to be really good on that show." For the record, I've never seen anything on Showtime, I've never been able to find where FX is on my cable box, I only watch True Blood and Game of Thrones on HBO and I only watch Walking Dead on AMC. So basically, it's going to be me rooting for Modern Family and Parks and Rec and Game of Thrones all night. Not bad horses to back, in my opinion, but there you have it. My predictions for who I'd want to win are as follows: There are some close races this year, so I'm only listing who I want to win and whoever is not that who will "likely win" can go eff themselves.

Best Comedy: Parks and Rec
Best Actor in a Comedy: Louie CK, Louie
Best Actress in a Comedy: Amy Poehler, Parks and Rec
Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy: Ty Burrell or Ed O'Neil, Modern Family
Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy: Julie Bowen, Modern Family or Jane Krakowski, 30 Rock
Best Drama: Game of Thrones
Best Actor in a Drama: Jon Hamm, Mad Men or Kyle Chandler, FNL
Best Actress in a Drama: Julianna Marguiles, The Good Wife or Connie Britton, FNL
Best Supporting Actor in a Drama: Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones
Best Supporting Actress in a Drama: Margo Martindale, Justified
Best Reality Program: Deadliest Catch
Best Reality Competition: So You Think You Can Dance
Best Reality Host: Cat Deely (already decided. She didn't win. Sad.)
Best Variety, Music, Comedy Show: The Daily Show

We'll see how that goes during the night!

BFF and I miss out on pretty much all the red carpet madness because Football ran long and then walking across the street to pick up our thai food somehow took a half hour. We believe they just never put our order in. LAME! Thank goodness we had already filled up on delicious Beecher's Flagship Cheese from 7-7:30!!!

I only made one status update during the show, but if I'd made more they would've gone like this:

Jane Lynch Sings! Yay!  The opening number is on the longish-side but props to all those stars who showed up to do their bits. Also? NIMOY!!!! We miss you, protesting Alec Baldwin...

The Emmy-Tones might be better in concept than execution, but I love them anyways. Hi Joel McHale,,, and the rest!

Julie Bowen wins! So excited! I hope this marks a trend for first-time winners. They are always more fun than the same old people/shows winning every year.

Juliana Marguilles is so pretty but... it kinda looks like the top of her dress is a child's princess trashcan? I'm sure it looks better in person.

Ty Burrell wins! I'm 2 for 2 on predictions!! I hope Ed O'Neil eventually wins for this show. It was a very strong year for Ty though.

Um, Modern Family has now gone 4 for 4 in the awards. If any show can find a way to sweep categories it's not even nominated in, it's this one! MF SWEEEEEP!

Not so thrilled with the Gervais bit. It's basically "Miss Lucy had a steamboat, the steamboat had a bell" but by Gervais. On tape. I shrug my shoulders, sir!

Go away, Charlie Sheen. In the words of Jessica Myrtle Spano, "Face it. It's over."

Steve Carrell loses again for The Office. No more chances left for him for this show.  :( Unless he comes back later on and is nominated as a guest actor! :)

Amy Poehler is my hero. She just marched up on that stage and hoped those other funny lady nominees followed suit with the bit. And they did! I love it. Having all the nominees up there Miss America-style might be my favorite Emmy moment ever. And the moment of celebration between them all when Melissa was announced as the winner was genuine and delightful. Amy really should've won. Melissa McCarthy is a fun surprise win and it was cute she got a tiara and flowers as well and was moved by the moment. I've actually seen her show and she is very funny in it and I'm glad it didn't go to one of those Pay-Cable not-actually-a-comedy comedies. But it's weird to me that people would vote for her over Amy. Maybe she got some spillover goodwill in the industry for her hilarious work in Bridesmaids?  Oh and here's a Bridemaids DVD commercial right after she gets the award. Interesting...

Amazing Race wins again!! I love TAR, but was pulling for SYTYCD, especially with the pattern of 1st time winners we are seeing tonight. If Am.Idol couldn't win this year with all the changes, it ain't ever gonna win.

The comedy/variety writing awards always have the funniest intros. Hooray for puppies, Timberlake... and Stephen Colbert!

Daily show wins again!! Colbert is still a genius!!! Love to Colbert!!!

Zooey Deschanel. The dress and the make up is a no from me. Sorry.

Bolton comes to sing about Jack Sparrow. Maya Rudolph lets us know it's okay if it's in a three-way. Thanks for playing, Lonely Island!

FNL wins for writing??!!??? Yay for them. Is there a Best Drama upset in the works?

Margo Martindale seems like a badass on a show I don't watch. She is so excited to win. I'd probably collapse on the stairs too if I won, and I wouldn't even be wearing a dress, I don't think!!

Was there any way they would not give the directing award to Scorsese? This is not the Oscars. They won't make him wait forever.

Peter Dinklage! Game of Thrones! I'm glad the show and the actor  got some Emmy love here. Very well deserved! 

Dear Producers Of Any Show Or Movie Out There: Sadly, the presence of Katie Holmes really adds nothing to the mix. She is just not interesting! I know. We all wish it was different. But it's not. Plus, she won't dress well or do her hair, just to spite you. Trust me, I've seen it happen too many times. WAY too many times. Much Love, Owen.

Kyle Chandler wins for FNL. I'm glad he could understand that his name was called. The way the Charlie's Angels girls screamed it, I had no idea who had won. I hope Hamm and Carrell share a stiff drink after the show. Denied again!!

Miniseries Movies Hour. zzzzzzz..... Just have Downtown Abbey and Mildred Pierce split them up equally off-screen and get us out of here by 10pm!

I'm all for slimming down and eating healthy, but Turtle from Entourage now looks like he couldn't way more than 95 lbs. Eat a chesseburger, dude. This cast turned Jane Lynch gay!

*This is the one I posted - Dearest Award Shows, there's really no need to have people sing live during an in memoriam segment. They wind up competing for attention with dead people which is not classy. Neither is using a fog machine during the live singing. Yours Always, O

RIP Andy Whitflield. I didn't watch your show, but I followed your story and it makes me sad the cancer took you from your wife and two children at such a young age. :(

Kate Winslet is SO THRILLED to win an Emmy! She's hugging it out with everybody. in the audience I guess when you lose so many Oscars in a row. you figure it will take more than two chances to win an Emmy.

Mad Men wins Best Drama, but the Best Drama of the night was whether it might actually lose to FNL.It looked close there for a minute!

Modern Family wins Best Comedy. Parks and Rec is my favorite in this category, but the writing was on the wall from early in the night. The cleavage on the younger MF daughter's dress is making me really uncomfortable. Her boobs are huge and OUT THERE. How old is she in real life? Not old enough. Put those things away, young lady! Julie Bowen needs to go Bad Cop on her immediately. Do as she says, little one, not as she does.

150 tons of confetti are falling from the ceiling and bury the Modern Family team alive on stage. That's one way to prevent a repeat win in this category next year. 

No more trophies to hand out. Here are the night’s winners:
Outstanding comedy series: Modern Family
Outstanding drama series: Mad Men
Outstanding miniseries or movie:
Downton Abbey
Outstanding lead actress, miniseries or movie: Kate Winslet, Mildred Pierce
Outstanding supporting actor in a miniseries or movie:
Guy Pearce, Mildred Pierce
Outstanding directing for a miniseries, movie or dramatic special: Brian Percival, Downton Abbey
Outstanding lead actor in a miniseries or movie:
Barry Pepper, The Kennedys
Outstanding supporting actress, miniseries or movie: Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey
Outstanding writing for a miniseries or movie:
Julian Fellowes, Downton Abbey
Outstanding lead actor, drama:
Kyle Chandler, Friday Night Lights
Outstanding lead actress, drama:
Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife
Outstanding supporting actor, drama: Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones
Outstanding directing, drama:
Martin Scorsese, Boardwalk Empire 
Outstanding supporting actress, drama:
Margo Martindale, Justified
Outstanding writing, drama series:
Jason Katims, Friday Night Lights
Outstanding variety, music or comedy series:
The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
Outstanding directing for a variety, music or comedy series: Don Roy King, Saturday Night Live (host: Justin Timberlake)
Outstanding writing for a variety, music or comedy series: The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
Outstanding reality competition: The Amazing Race
Outstanding lead actress, comedy:
Melissa McCarthy  Mike & Molly
Outstanding lead actor, comedy series: Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory
Outstanding writing for a comedy: Steve Levitan, Jeffrey Richman (“Caught in the Act”),  Modern Family
Outstanding director, comedy:
Michael Alan Spiller (“Halloween”),  Modern Family
Outstanding supporting actor, comedy:
Ty Burrell, Modern Family
Outstanding supporting actress, comedy: Julie Bowen, Modern Family


The show ends on time! I thought Jane was a lovely and enthusiastic host. I'm excited so many 1st time winners won this year. Thank you Beecher's Cheese for the delicious snacking food throughout the night Next year: Amy Poehler wins!!! Thank you and good night!



  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...