RSS
SUPER BOWL

Owls and Cats As Friends? Not News.

A couple days ago, The Village Voice posted this video of a cat and an owl playing together. It's embedded below.



I'm glad these two got along and everything, but it's not like there isn't historical precedence for this specific inter-species friendship. Yes, I am of course referencing the friendship between Henrietta Pussycat and X The Owl in the Land Of Make Believe on Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. I cannot believe the Voice made no reference to this.

For those of you who might not remember, Henrietta and X lived in the main Land of Make Believe tree - in separate domiciles, of course. There was nothing untoward about their relationship. X lived in the Tree Trunk and Hen had this little school house thingy that sat on one of the large branches. They got along like gangbusters. Okay, MAYbe they were boyfriend and girlfriend. Is there Land of Make Believe fanfic out there? Wait, no. I'm not checking because I seriously don't want to know the answer.

(They lived in the Land Of Make Believe, but this was no pretend friendship!)

Henrietta Pussycat was my favorite thing in the world when I was little. I got a stuffed cat doll when I was very young that I named after Henrietta and my best friend next door had an X the Owl puppet and wouldn't you know that we climbed the tree in between our houses and played with them on many an afternoon, with me supplying the necessary "meows" in the place of actual words as Hen was often prone to do. Hen has been with me throughout the years, I do not remember ever not having her. She graduated from college with me and has made it through all my NYC apartment moves. I can't imagine not having her around. Who else could I trust to stand watch over the place all day and night protecting me from Evil?

(Hen requested I be her friend long before it became popular to do so on Facebook. I was more than happy to oblige.)

Hen Rocks. And X the Owl rocks. And although this other Cat and Owl in the video are pretty cool, and real, and have a catchy tune in their youtube... Village Voice? The possibility of such a friendship is hardly news. Hen and X have been best buds for DECADES. And of course there's this little story too. Do try and keep up!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...