RSS
SUPER BOWL

Biscuits Café

Going out to breakfast is something I don't seem to be able to accomplish very often with my family's varying waking schedules (my son usually wakes up at the crack of dawn). However, the Grandparents had the kids at the Children’s Museum and hubby and I found ourselves contemplating the possibility. Of course it was a Saturday, so we knew a lot of places would be packed.

Lately I have been noticing a lot of friends going to Biscuits Café (I have been noticing this courtesy of foursquare, which by the way, the point of which I still do not understand—please feel free to explain). And we were already sort of headed that way anyway (my car just kind of heads toward Taste whenever there is indecision), so we gave it a try.

This is an interesting combination because it is half a breakfast menu, half a Mexican menu, with several combo items, featuring Mexican breakfast items. Now I am familiar with huevos rancheros, but there were several other options as well. While being somewhat intrigued by a breakfast chimichanga, I settled on the breakfast quesadilla at the encouragement of my very friendly server.

This was a really large tortilla stuffed with so much stuff; it was hard to really even taste all the ingredients. There were (according to the menu), eggs, potatoes, chorizo, and cheese but it was all so mashed together, it was hard to really get an egg flavor from it. Although I did think the flavor was good and hearty. It came with a side of rice and refried beans, which were your standard decent rice and beans. I got a little side of sour cream to go with my quesadilla just because it needed a little something. That worked. I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. I just wish I could have tasted the eggs a little more.

I also ordered a biscuit on the side, because, well, the place is called “Biscuits” right? So they better have good biscuits. And they did. It was really good actually. ut that biscuit convinced me that next time I am just going to try a straight breakfast dish with biscuits and see how that goes.

Hubby had the huevos rancheros which is usually, a tortilla with beans, eggs and salsa stacked on top. In this case, it was eggs cooked to order (he got them over easy) with salsa on top and the tortillas, beans and rice of the side. I guess it was sort of a make your own thing. He enjoyed it, particularly after he mixed it all together. His complaint (other than he prefers it all stacked together) was that he likes it when the tortilla is grilled a little so that it is a little bit stiffer to hold up to all the stuff on top.

The interior is your basic plain Jane breakfast place— but very clean. I did like the cute little bar stools along the counter. I also liked that they gave you little checkered cloth napkins instead of paper. The place was quite crowded although we were seated right away. But by the time we left I think just about every table was full.

Based on what we had, I think Biscuits is a safe bet to add to the rotation for breakfast—not sure about as a choice for Mexican yet. But I will certainly give it another try. But of course, it begs the question….what’s your favorite Mexican and/or breakfast joint in town?

Biscuits Café
1035 Broad Ripple Ave
Indy 46220
317/202-0410

Biscuits on Urbanspoon

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...