RSS
SUPER BOWL

The Most Wonderful Month Of The Year


It is October. This makes me happy. It mostly has to do with the one-two punch of my Birthday and Halloween that comes at the end of the month, but I find the weeks leading up to these two main events to be my favorite time of the year. Autumn is my favorite season, I love the fall air and the foliage, and everything seems to hit its peak in October. September's still warm and always has the sting of back-to-school associated with it. November gets a little too cold for my liking and gets swallowed up by Thanksgiving. October is just right. Plus, I have always had an affection for words starting in "O." The fact that my birth month starts with the same letter as my name is very satisfying to me.

Halloween is my favorite Holiday. I like the traditional Halloween colors of black and orange (another word starting in O). I like planning my costume every year. This year I really wanted to go as one of the Warriors, but every place I try to buy the vest is out of stock. I started looking for the thing back in June (a month with no O's - perhaps that was the problem) but the in-stock date for online costume retailers keeps getting pushed further and further back. I have to assume it's not gonna happen this year. But I'll think of something. Other great things about Halloween included buying yourself candy under the guise that kids might come by trick or treating. No one has ever come by my apartment looking for candy in the 6 years I've lived in NYC. So if I was going to buy candy "just in case" you'd think I'd limit it to one bag, instead of three or four, just so that I - I'm mean the potential trick-or-treaters - have some variety. Another great thing about Halloween I enjoyed as a kid was that before Channel 11 turned into the WB and then the CW, it just played scary movies every night in October as part of its "Shocktober!" programming. That's where I first saw Nightmare on Elm Street 3. Ahh memories...

Other highlights of October this year include my first trip to Rome, the end of another season of marathon training and my 30th birthday. So much to celebrate and enjoy this year! I'm very happy it's finally October.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...